Exmouth Museum and Heritage Centre
Exmouth museum and Heritage Centre celebrates the lives and businesses of the people of the town. They made bricks and lace, built ships and fished, saved lives and survived disasters.
The displays in The Hayloft, The Cottage and The Stables tell the stories in the historic setting of buildings that date from the late 19th century when Exmouth first became an important holiday destination.
Exhibits include a period Sitting Room, a Victorian Kitchen, Wartime, the Beach, Children’s Toys, Railways, Shipping, Antique Lace, the Post Office, Schools, World War II in Exmouth, Cigarette Cards and Commemorative China. Exmouth Museum was first opened in 1985 and is housed in a 19th century building which was the council stables together with the adjoining foreman’s cottage.
There is the opportunity for children to see what it was like to sit at a school desk from Victorian times and to dress in some of the clothes from that period.
As well as other artefacts and documents the museum has a large number of photographs and a small collection of oil paintings and watercolours.
The reception area houses a large selection of books on local history and newspaper cuttings which visitors are welcome to look at, people often visit us in order to research their family history.
The museum is run entirely by volunteers all of whom are only too willing to welcome visitors and share their enthusiasm and knowledge of the history of our town.
The museum is at the centre of Exmouth within easy walking distance of car parks and the shops. We are in Sheppards Row, just off Exeter Road at the town end with the Exmouth Arms on the corner.
The museum does not have a cafe but there is a wide range of cafes, restaurants and bars within a short walk.
- You can find the Exmouth Museum & Heritage centre at Sheppards Row, Exmouth, EX8 1PW.
- Walk up Exeter Rd from the Magnolia Shopping Centre and junction with The Parade. Sheppards Row is the first turning on the left by the Exmouth Arms Pub, you will see the museum in front of you.
- By Train: From Exmouth Railway station walk along The Parade until the junction with Exeter Rd, turn left into Exeter Rd and Sheppards Row is the first turning on the left.
- Buses: From Exeter – 57 bus, from Budleigh Salterton – 357 or 157 bus, from Sidmouth – 157 bus.
- Admission is £2.50 per Adult. Children are FREE. We have a card machine and can take cash or cards/smartphone payments.
Opening times /Date
- The museum reopens after the Winter period Monday 3rd April 2023 at 10.00
- Opening hours 10:00 – 16:00 Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday Saturday 10:00-13:00 We are CLOSED Fridays and Sundays.
Links and Contact: