Every 25th of December since 1970, hundreds of hardy people have descended upon our beach for the famous Exmouth Christmas Day Swim.
This is an event that grows in scale each and every year, with more and more people taking part. Why not join them? We’re told it’s the best way to build up an appetite for your seasonal dinner.
Everyone is welcome to have a dip, Why not wear fancy dress? Most people do!
The swim kicks off at 11 am sharp, on the beach opposite the clock tower. Don’t worry if you’d don’t fancy getting wet, you can join the hundreds of people who head down to watch the festivities!
- Don’t be shy about fancy dress! The more eye catching the better.
- Some kind of footwear is advisable.
- Don’t try and park on the seafront, it gets very busy. It’s best to park in the town and walk to the beach.
- Bring hot drinks to warm up after the swim, the water will be very cold.
- You’ll need spare clothes – something warm – unless you want to walk home in your mankini?
- Why not get sponsorship for doing the swim? A good charity to support is the RNLI.
- Make sure you join in with the traditional rendition of ‘We wish you a Merry Christmas’ and countdown that precedes the mad rush into the sea… 10, 9, 8, 7, 6… hold your nose… yikes that’s cold!
What the locals say…
“Nothing clears the head on Christmas day quite like a quick dip in the sea.”
Photography credits: Digital Exmouth Group