Exmouth and the surrounding area has a lively arts scene and there is so much to see and do. If you would like to find out more about our visual and performing arts, music and other cultural activity, here is a short guide.
What’s on in Exmouth – arts, music and cultural events
To find out what’s going on and what’s coming up soon, do take a look at:
- The events listing section of this Visit Exmouth website. This is kept constantly up-to-date and lists a number of arts, music and cultural events happening locally.
- The Exmouth Arts website – This is online guide to art, music, theatre and comedy, literature, poetry, film and dance in Exmouth. It also features details of organisations and groups involved in the arts and cultural activities in Exmouth, information about venues in Exmouth, and a links section for further information.
- The Exmouth Arts Facebook Group – This has a selection of topical arts-related items and news about arts, musical and cultural events coming up in Exmouth, and something new is posted every day. It’s a public group and so open to all, and you don’t need to be on Facebook to see it.
- The Arts and Culture East Devon website gives a huge amount of information about arts and culture (news, events, directory and resources) not just in Exmouth but also throughout East Devon.
Popular venues in Exmouth
Events and art displays take place in a number of places in and around Exmouth, and with live music on most evenings. Here are some of the most popular venues:
- Exmouth Pavilion on The Esplanade on Exmouth seafront has drawn up a great programme and there’s a lot going on there, with occasional free events in its gardens during the summer months.
- Ocean on Queen’s Drive on the Exmouth seafront hosts a number of art exhibitions and occasional jazz evenings. It has also hosted a comedy club in the past.
- Exmouth’s Scott Cinema has three cinema screens and has a full weekly schedule of films, plus the occasional live streamed performances.
- Blackmore Theatre in Bicton Street in Exmouth is the venue for the very active and talented Exmouth Players who give a number of performances throughout the year. There are also a variety of other performances and gigs taking place there.
- Musical performances and gigs are held in a number of local pubs. For example, one of these pubs which offers a wide variety of gigs is the Bicton Inn in Bicton Street in Exmouth.
- Manor Gardens was one of the venues for this year’s very popular Exmouth Festival. Various outdoor events are often held here, including in the summer months Exmouth Town Concert Band concerts on Monday evenings.
- The visual arts are very active with several artists’ studios and occasional exhibitions in and around Exmouth. Especially good is the changing display of impressive art at Exmouth’s Sea Dog Gallery on Beacon Hill in Exmouth (which is also an excellent café). Check out their Facebook page here.
- Exmouth Library on Exeter Road in Exmouth acts as a great hub for literature, information and lots more, and hosts a variety of events.
- Exmouth Museum and Heritage Centre just off Exeter Road in Sheppard’s Row is open for most of the year and is well worth a visit.
If you want to find out more or if you are staying in Exmouth for some time, there is a comprehensive list of local organisations that are involved with arts and cultural activities. More details are in the Organisations section of the Exmouth Arts website.
Plus much more….
This is only a brief summary of what is happening in the world of arts and culture in the Exmouth area. There is much more besides. For example, for more local art, Ella’s Studio at Sideshore on Queen’s Drive on Exmouth seafront. For textiles, there’s Natasha Smart Textiles. And a little further away in Honiton, a wonderful gallery and base for East Devon arts is the Thelma Hulbert Gallery.
Any comments or suggestions?
If you have any comments or suggestions about additional information or resources we can include here or on the Exmouth arts website, please email me, John Hunt, at [email protected]